Saturday, June 30, 2012

Life Will Never Be the Same: The Real Mom's Postpartum Survival Guide

Copyright: 2010
Publisher: Real Moms Ink LLC
Genre: non-fiction
Pages: 224
My rating: 4/5


It used to be pretty taboo to talk about having post-pardum issues, much less admit to them.  I'm admit to all of you, I have/had it pretty bad.  It wasn't a surprise to my husband or my Dr. as I had pretty bad depression issues throughout the pregnancy.  So I was being watched pretty carefully.

I tried to hide it from most people, I mean who really wants to admit to this kind of thing right?   But due to some of the issues I had I ended up breaking down when one of my friends was visiting R and myself. 

My friend stopped by later that week or the next (it's all a blur!) and gave me this book.  It's even signed by one of the authors, a person note to me. How cool is that?!

I immediatly started to read it.  I got in the habit of keeping one book on my nightstand in the bedroom and one at my comand post in the family room..ie the arm of the couch.   

I think this book helped me a lot.  While I knew that a lot of what I was feeling had to be somewhat normal, it was good to read about it.  The suggestions that were recommended on what to do were things I had already started to do, which was good. In fact, knowing I had already started to do things to better myself made me feel even better. 

The book is broken down in to sections.  There is a brief part in the beginning of each if you don't have time to read the whole chapter, I read both.  Some sections I didn't feel applied to me and I skimmed those.

The one section that helped a lot was the one that briefly touched on new moms who went through infertility issues.  I wish this chapter had been longer and more in-depth, so that's my only complaint. But it was incredibly helpful nontheless.   I can't remember if I mentioned it on this blog but I did have fertility issues, I knew about it going in to the family planning stage. That doesn't mean it was any easier once we were officially trying.  I somehow  had it in my mind that I wouldn't have post-pardum issues because we tried so hard and for so long, that I would be happy with all the changes, etc.  Boy was I wrong!  So then I went through a whole phase of feeling horrible that I was having issues when I put so much effort in to getting to this point.  So just reading this section was incredibly helpful for me. 

This is the only book I have read on ppd.  However I would recommend it to anybody going through the issues.  It might even be something helpful to give to people who are currently pregnant so they can perhaps read it before getting to this phase.  Hopefully they wouldn't have pp issues but if they did they could already be educated. 

3 comments:

bermudaonion said...

I'm sorry you're struggling with postpartum issues, but I'm glad this book had been helpful. I'm glad people are more open about it these days.

Literary Feline said...

This sounds like a very helpful book, Kris. I am glad it has helped you and that you are feeling more confident. If you ever need to talk, I'm an e-mail away. As you know, I've had my own Postpartum issues. It is good to see people talking about it more--although it still carries a stigma and many of us are still afraid to talk much about it, if at all. It's hard for me, I know.

Unknown said...

Thanks ladies! I'm glad it's something that more people are talking about these days. It's still hard, still feel like crap having to admit it, but it was so bad for me I had to talk about it. I'm glad I did as it was so helpful to have friends and family who have experienced it tell me that they went through it too.