Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Pies and Prejudice by Ellery Adams

#1 Charmed Pie Shop Mystery
Copyright: 2012
Publisher: Berkley Prime Crime
Genre: Mystery (cozy)
Pages: 266
My rating: 4/5

It's actually been several weeks since I finished this one, I just never took the time to do the review.  I'm too busy playing words with friends (not that I'm any good at it).

This is the first in a new series, a series I'm sure will soon become a favorite of mine. 
Ella May finds her husband cheeting on her, with twins, and takes her dog and moves back home to Georgia.  She was going to cooking school in New York but hasn't had a chance to graduate yet.  However, she is excellent at making pies.    She has a magical touch and whatever she is feeling as she makes the pie ends up crossing over to the people who eat pieces of it.  Of course she doesn't realize this at first.

Ella May is lucky enough to have several Aunts who love and adore her.  They help convince her to open a pie shop.  This is an excellent idea, except that murder is involved.  Ella May is the prime suspect and works on clearing her name.

Ella May is a terrific character. In fact, I pretty much loved all the main characters.  Her Aunts are terrific, everyone should have Aunts like that.  The mystery aspect was good but there was actually more to the story than that.  You got a lot of info about the Aunts and Ella's life and opening the pie shop, etc.  I had no issues with this but others will.

Definitly think cozy fans will enjoy this one and who knows, maybe some of the rest of you will too.

Thanks to the publisher for this one!

2 comments:

bermudaonion said...

Sounds fabulous to me!

Melissa Palmer said...

I have this on my Kindle to read--looking forward to it.

Melissa
http://melissasbookpicks.blogspot.com/